PB is a democratic process in which community members directly decide how to spend part of the public budget. In New York, City Council Members choose to join Participatory Budgeting New York City, giving at least $1 million from their budget for community residents to vote on how it is spent. PB:YF will be made up of up to 30 high school students representing 15 City Council districts in the 2018-2019 school year.
– Attends high school and/or lives in a participating City Council District.
– Entering 10th or 11th grade(others will be considered on a case-by-case basis)
– Interest and curiosity in public services, government, and/or civic engagement
– Ability to commit to rigorous program schedule from July 2018 to May 2019.
– Three-week Leadership Institute(July 30th through August 17th), plus 20 hours of PB services between August 20th and 31st.
– 10-15 hours of PB service per month.
– Six(6) full-day training sessions on Saturday or non-instructional days
– Six(6) after-school strategy meetings.